Header Ads

Poem - Mother Nature's Wrath, Poetess - Annalyn G. Mercado (Philippines)

 


Mother Nature's Wrath

Annalyn G. Mercado


Wilderness of forests used to be untouched

Rare inhabitants' refuges were interrupted

The unstoppable population explosion

Technology development invaded its serenity


What purpose do environmental laws serve?

If logging and burning cannot be ceased,

Converting hills, mountains, rivers, and seas,

Subdivisions and buildings mushroomed in their place.


What is the purpose of government officials?

For allowing operations to mine and quarry

Legalizing their documents and permits

If their adverse effects would mean disaster!


When are we going to stop abusing Mother Nature?

Damping and spilling poisonous waste in bodies of water

Or using explosives on the sea to gain millions of profits

Even if it means destroying coral reefs and marine species.


Why is it that we always think of greed?

Instead of protecting citizen's welfare

Now, nature's wrath has been affecting us all

Disasters that leave painful scars in our hearts


Volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, floods and landslides

Mountains of soil squelching properties and human lives

Agricultural lands submerged in the raging flow of water

Sweeping the fruits of labor with our blood and sweat


What is the fate waiting for us now?

Famine, poverty, inflation—stricken people?

Sanctuaries and lives had been swept away

How can we save them? Lost and buried to the ground!


How can we extinguish people from starvation?

Proliferating crimes and more aggravations?

Epidemic diseases spreads and annihilate people

What more could be the worst scenario in the future?


When will you realize that every abuse we commit?

We are just digging our own graves!

And as Mother Earth cries her agony!

We remain deaf and mute to her plea!


Are you prepared for her uncontrollable rage?

Do you have an ark that will save you from death?

Forget your unselfishness and greed!

Repent and save Mother Nature before it's too late!




Copyright reserved

©Annalyn G. Mercado



Bionotes:

Annalyn G. Mercado, a multi-awarded poetess from the Philippines is a Doctor of Humanities in Social Community Development awardee(DHum, honoris causa), an honorary degree given by Ybarra Scholars and Fellows. Teacher III from Camp Vicente Lim Integrated School in Calamba City, Laguna, served 18 years as a secondary teacher. My passion for reading books and novels in my adolescent years led me to dream of becoming a writer. After college, I created poems but my passion for writing was discouraged by my father. I finished my B.S. in Agriculture, major in Ag. Economics (1996). When I discovered that I had Rheumatic Heart disease, the company rejected me. My mother encouraged me to take units of education and luckily passed the Licensure Exam for Teachers (LET) in 2003, major in English. After a 2-year teaching stint in a private school, I became a substitute teacher from 2005-2006. Finally, I got my permanent employment as a public school teacher from 2006 to the present. My master’s in education(MAED) major in TLE at Laguna State Polytechnic University was set aside when my son was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and seizure disorder. I'm an advocate, supporting a community of parents who have kids with autism. After 26 years I found myself writing again during my Covid-19 quarantine. A member of different global poetry forums where my writing talent was recognized. Presently, I’m an Administrator of the International Academy of Cultures, Vice President of the Pundit Society of Literature, and Advisor of Glory Future Foundation in Bangladesh, founded by Sayd Khan where I became one of the writers in a book, Poetry for Children. Recently, I was awarded by the Global Writers Academy as an Ambassador of Peace. Writer of the Daily Global Nation, The Pencraft, Amaravati Anthology, Ghorsowar, and VinAkasher Tara e-Magazines.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.