Poems of Thi Lan Anh Tran (Germany)
Wait for Me Through the Winter of Fire and Smoke
Thi Lan Anh Tran
Aschaffenburg, Germany
My love, please wait for me,
Wait through the years of sorrow and war’s long night.
Though skies are covered with endless snow,
Though our homeland fades beneath clouds of smoke.
My love, please keep your gentle hand,
Keep a little lamp through the lonely nights.
Though roads are shaken by bombs and flames,
Though news of me is lost, though longing remains.
I walk across the battlefields,
Through cities wounded, broken, and torn.
Amid the fading echoes of gunfire,
I still hear the voices of home and children.
I cannot promise days without distance,
Nor promise the winds will leave our poor roof alone.
I only hope, within this fragile world,
Your heart will continue planting seeds of hope.
If tomorrow I cannot return,
Please do not let your tears consume the days.
Believe that somewhere I have stood,
Guarding every precious moment of loving you.
If I should rest beneath the earth,
In a cold and distant land far from our home,
Please remember this one truth:
Someone once lived with all his heart for love.
Yet I still dream of one tomorrow,
When no more cannons shake the skies.
When children sing beside the fields,
And old mothers no longer wait with tears in their eyes.
And when the battles finally end,
I will return along the village road of yesterday.
I will not bring the sound of swords or war,
Only the warmth of a sun reborn.
My love, please wait for the dawn,
Wait for the day humanity awakens in peace.
Though countless roads may suffer and fade,
Our love remains — and so do we.
Author’s Note
The poem “Wait for Me Through the Winter of Fire and Smoke” was born from the sorrow of war and an unbreakable belief in the power of love and human compassion. In a world where the echoes of weapons can still be heard, the image of the one who leaves and the one who waits behind is not only the story of a single nation, but a shared emotion of all humanity.
Through this poem, I wish to send a simple message: even in the midst of loss, separation, and suffering, love remains the flame that gives people the strength to endure; and the dream of peace is the springtime that every human heart longs to welcome.
________________________________________
THE CRESCENT MOON STILL CARRIES FRAGRANCE
Thi Lan Anh Tran
You offered me a silver moon,
Beneath a sky of fading June.
Not full as dreams I used to hold,
Yet filled with love more bright than gold.
Within its gentle crescent light,
Were whispered hopes throughout the night.
A thousand memories softly stayed,
In every shadow the moon had made.
Was I saddened by the moon’s decline,
Or by a love not yet divine?
Though one small part remained unseen,
It still adorned the world with sheen.
You never chose a dying flame,
You only came when softly came
A tender night beside my door,
When my heart knew you even more.
If we had waited for the perfect sky,
Perhaps our love would have passed us by.
For beauty is not in the perfect view,
But in the warmth that hearts hold true.
When years have touched our silver hair,
And old moonlight finds us there,
We’ll look upon that night once more,
And know what love was waiting for.
Do not regret the crescent moon,
Do not mourn what was not full too soon.
For sometimes in a fragile light,
The moon shines more beautifully at night.
Though the moon may miss a part of grace,
It still reflects our quiet place.
For love is not a perfect shine,
But two hearts held through space and time.
© Thi Lan Anh Tran. All rights reserved
The Moon’s Eternal Promise
Thi Lan Anh Tran
The moon hangs softly by the door,
Listening to a whispered call from days of yore.
I have never forgotten the lonely heart,
Only clouds have kept our worlds apart.
Who has carried my beloved far away,
Leaving a shadow to wait through endless days?
The moon still shines into the deepest soul,
Across a thousand paths, it seeks to make us whole.
The waters may rise, the waters may fall,
Yet the moon remains faithful through it all.
Its golden light is not endless or bright,
But a longing transformed into a gentle night.
You return and sit beside your shadow’s sorrow,
While another wanders toward a distant tomorrow.
I remain between heaven and earthly streams,
Gathering your memories, carrying your dreams.
If one day your hair turns silver with frost,
If life leads you through roads where hopes are lost,
Look up at the moon’s familiar glow,
And know my heart has never let you go.
The moon makes no promises with words,
Only a silent friendship the universe has heard.
Though time may fade and years may depart,
An old moon still waits with an unchanged heart.
©Thi Lan Anh Tran. All rights reserved.
