Two poems by Mohamed Ellaghafi (Morocco)

 

Photo of Mohamed Ellaghafi










Here Lies Refuge

Mohamed Ellaghafi 


The cloud of my eyelid

has dried.

Joy has abandoned me

while I kneel

upon my knees,

ruminating wounds.

Funeral processions

cross through me, 

coffin after coffin.

My longings are limbs.

My memories

echoes of faces

once neighboring

my own echoes.

No voice now

argues with my silence,

and no silence

can rival

my scream.



A Slip of Reflection

Mohamed Ellaghafi 


Had I not been me,

what would have happened?

Nothing, perhaps, 

like some passing mistake

falling as a drop

inside the womb of a cloud.

I was never more

than this crippled mass,

this blind heaviness,

these branches bending

toward my chaos.

Like one carrying

the burden of his own limbs

upon his shoulders,

listening to their pain

while forgetting

they are merely

failed extremities

that never respond

when he cries for help.


*Translated by Hassan Yarti (Spain)*

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url