Poems of Kim Eun-sim (South Korea)
Poetess Ms.
Kim Eun-sim has received the Global Literary Award and the Grand Prize of the
Hwang Jin-i Literary Award. She has also published her poetry collection, Seed.
In
addition to her literary career, she is the CEO of Seed Jewelry in Bundang and
works as a jewelry designer. She also serves as a board member of the Korean
Jewelry Association and is a member of the Korea Music Copyright Association.
Measuring Height in the Barley Field
In the
barley field,
green
leaves rise from every furrow.
As if
asking, “Which of us will grow taller?”
they
grow, each striving to outgrow the other.
One by
one, their slender heads rise,
dreaming
of waves of gold beneath the early summer sun.
They
gather handfuls of sunlight in their tender leaves,
and
little by little, they grow taller and fuller.
Through
every furrow of the barley field,
a long
green wave stretches into the distance,
and in
the farmer’s heart, too,a fruitful dream begins to ripen.
Waiting
for the day of a bountiful harvest.
Like Flowing Water
I accept
it all like flowing water,
without
hesitation
sorrow,
pain, and despair.
If they
have come to me
what
could they be but encounters from a distant former life?
Having
endured those endless ages of time,
how
fortunate I was to be able to call you
my
beloved,
even if
only by a thread of connection between us.
I
embrace the ties of past, present, and future lives,
and long
to weave again
the
bonds that we could not fully complete.
If it is
in this life, all the better.
Even if
it must wait until the next, I shall have no regrets.
On an
autumn day, to my beloved
The Caterpillar in a Flowerpot
I look
upon the world inside a small flowerpot,
as
though that little pot were the whole wide world.
A
caterpillar lives inside a tiny flower
so small
that I can hardly see it.
And yet,
how wondrous it is.
It lives
its life as though it were living in the whole world.
How
mysterious
within
that little flowerpot, it lives its world as though it were the vast universe.
To live
within this small world is itself a great miracle.
To treat
the small as though it were great,
and the
great as though it were small,
I, too,
will live my life that way.
